24.3.10

My Reflection on Open Source Management Groupwork Contribution

Introduction

Group formation was the quickest task we completed, as well as taking over the name "Red team". As red generally is a provocative colour, our group's tasks also did not  come out as well as they were supposed to. The first task was to group people under certain tasks, and I got a chronicle keeper's task. I created the Red Team's tasks and "tickets" (not in the way they were supposed to be), also marked our progress, and finally reflected on the groupwork. For documentation I used the wiki part of trac environment.

The most critical part of the course was to make everything flow. As all tasks depended on different other tasks, and since the group had difficulties with programming the campaigns, there often was nothing to document, and thus it was necessary to wait for the process to go on.
From time to time I made some changes in Trac, for example uploaded storylines or documented overall progress together with Taavi.

My task was also to support the group in other tasks, like exploring Wesnoth scenarios, and suggesting the ideas from these campaigns, which would be useful in our game. On the other hand, I helped proofread the scenarios as well as posted them in Trac. I think my task in this game was achieved all in all.
I tried to help the team leader as much as I could and was able to, as well, mostly in documentation. As well as the other team leaders, I also tested the game, which worked well for me, but was difficult to progress during low Wesnoth gaming skills.

Lessons learned:

Individually I cannot say that I could have changed anything within the group, because the development did not depend directly on certain people, it depended more or less on the workflow, and on the fact how the game was managed to be put together. It probably was stuck behind the lack of knowledge in the beginning and how to "bite" through the latter afterwards.

It was quite difficult to document any progress or what went wrong until the previous steps were completed.  As it turned out, trac was the main component in the development process. Nevertheless, most of the work was transferred to Skype or done orally, because we tried to develop the game together as a group. Next time we should collaborate more with the lecturer as well, in order to get faster feedback on our errors and perhaps some help in fixing them. Forum help turned out to be more difficult than in the first glance, because it was quite difficult to grasp the necessary help topics during the process.

No comments: