22.4.10

E-Learning Week 8 - Reflection

I had some thoughts concerning Ketlin's post of week 7.
She said she did not have a clear image of a decent e-course in mind before she started this subject, but she has learned a lot now. I must admit, that I have learned something as well, but it is fairly simple for me to surf around in the e-learning environment. I am feeling pretty good now that I have passed one bad e-course example, I even decided to give the lecturer course feedback so that she could improve her courses. After learning some basics and browsing through materials I feel pretty secure in open learning environments. I am also proud that I have participated on an e-course of the lecturer who got a quality mark from EITSA (Estonian Information Technology Foundation), so I have a few courses to compare.
I just hope that all of our group's materials of our course will be posted before evaluation, because group work matters 25%, not your own effort in the group, as far as I understand.

Explain, which type of learning environment is best suitable for your e-learning course prototype?

Our group has decided to adapt an open personal learning environment, because it is easier to follow and there are no extra passwords to remember. The other point would be that social media applications require a lot of mobility and time to get acquainted with the whole concept, thus a weekly space is left for the student to learn the things and reflect on them. We have put our materials in the web, namely a weebly-based page, which gives the objectives, main information, tasks, and the facilitator's blog (the name is made up thus there is no need to contact the person who is the "facilitator" there). Tools for learners would be a few social networking tools and also a blog for reflection. Since there is no groupwork, only minor skype chats may occur, but it is not clear yet, whether the learners would be keen on it. Some tasks are made in twitter, thus there will be an agregator for twitter feeds as well.
Why did we choose Weebly?
  • easy to navigate, just a few clicks
  • simple to create, and manage, just a few drag-and-drop items + text, embeddable code, etc.
  • forum/feedback/blog option
  • simple interface
What was the most important thing you learned this week? What kind of questions/ideas/experiences this week’s activities raised for you?

I still learned that it is possible to do group work so that not everyone is present, but through collaboration with some and then the others it is possible to manage with group tasks very easily. There has to be a keen person who "fuels" the conversation, and participants who do work in time. I had quite a lot of fun setting up the weebly course and inventing facilitator's blog posts and comments. I love creative work!


What is your evaluation of this week's groupwork? (What did go well and what did not? How did groupwork influence fulfilling your personal learning contract?)

According to my observations this week has been productive, we have been online and decided things together, and there was no need to schedule time, we were all online and had a spontaneous meeting. This made our task division even more effective. Well, since everybody agreed that PBworks is not the best environment for course presentation, we decided that we would change it. As we had at least 2 weebly users, we decided to use this environment. We have had several talk sessions with the group and that is assuring, everyone took part nicely.

Describe what has changed in your personal learning environment and in group environment?

I love my organization :) but group environment changed in the sense that there appeared a new web page for the course prototype.

1 comment:

terje said...

Hey,

First of all you have a nice looking Weebly site...clear and clean. :)

I am very much into a personal learning environment (PLE) topic and I am trying to fight against the notion that PLE is just a collection of freely available tools aggregated together. I think it is more than technology, it also includes people, different artifacts (physical, mental, material), etc. I so much believe that we can talk about an environment in relation to some intentional activity as this activity itself defines to certain extent the environment that supports the execution of this activity. But this is a longer discussion somewhere else... :)

Terje