27.9.09

The fourth (article): A Review of the Cocktail Party Effect.

I was inspired by Jakob's post on the article and I decided to start reading it myself, too.

The article was interesting. The thoughts given there were partly new, partly familiar, but to read them in some context was new. So the cocktail party effect, I believe, is familiar to everybody. When you ride on a bus and you spot a familiar voice, or at a party when you hear your name and turn to listen to what the people are saying about you. It is amazing how a person is built up - lots of different and unbelievable mechanisms in us - we are like machines, only the most complex machines.
I also understood that the cocktail party effect has been used in creation of different gadgets or computers in order to let the machine understand what you are saying to them. My SonyEricsson mobile phone understands my talk when I have said something in it and it kind of synchronizes my previously said name with the newly said one (hands-free application), not recognising the name all the time, because it's a machine.
I would like to add that some of the text was filled with too many definitions.

I recommend you also read Maarja's thoughts on the article!

No comments: