19.12.09

Ethics and Law in New Media, week eleven

Analyse both free software and open source approach in your blog. If you prefer one, provide your arguments.

The two do not have much of a difference, except that the first has four points in the definition and the latter has more than four (it keeps in mind the discrimination aspect, and license specifications). Another difference is in terminology, which is to my mind a word play. "Free software" leads me to think that it is not as similar as "open source", because initially I thought that the first term comes with no source code, but when I discovered that there is source code provided in both of these approaches, then I was a little bit confused, because I could not quite get the terminology. I looked through the Free Software Definition and the Open Source Definition besides the materials, and what I found is already written in the beginning.
I think I would prefer the second term, open source, because to me it defines more clearly what comes with the package. 

No comments: